School Science Days , science shows, Story telling & more
School Science Days or how your school could use me best.
SecondaryFor my Secondary school science shows, I'll do a presentation or four, or five, Great Moments of Science or Science Magic...Magic Science both certainly amusing and certain to get their attention and so do my others. I'll do shows in the hall during the day for as many audience as we can get in. Some schools get me to do all of KS3 and some the whole school. It works best by year group, yes, even the year nines.
A lot of secondaries will lay on a performance for their feeders and these go down a storm.
And often is the time I will perform an evening show for parents, the public, anybody in fact.
Another popular bolt on for secondary is sessions with the G&Ts, I always relish a challenge. Here I can let small groups loose with some of my toys and specimens,get into things a little deeper and make them think.
Middle SchoolsI love middle schools, maybe the best of both worlds, and I have just the thing for them.
Special Schools and PRUsAll of these are different and I know I can offer something for all. I think these locations are great, some of the most fun I have had has been working with these groups of children and their helpers. The day tends to be a bit of a hybrid between primary and secondary, with certainly a science show or two. I have had kids ask questions and show interest that their teacher told me are normally very hard to reach. The small group demos go down well.
I particularly remember one girl who really seemed to switch on and smiled for the first time in ages.
Science WeeksHere are some possible themes and ideas. I, of course, have shows that tie in and can make some useful suggestions of activities.
- Environmental, School Grounds Safari, looking about outside and seeing what you find.
- Flight, things that do it, how it works, what to make and even a flight of fancy.
- Move it. Fun stuff with forces.
- Great Scientists (please lets not call them mad)
- Not just a pretty flower. Plants and what they are and why I love them.
- Space, a pretty big subject.
Science Festivals and FairsI have done so many of these, and get invited back the next year.
Lots of shows will work for the general audience and go down a treat.
I have been involved with Education Business Partnerships for a good few years, and they keep asking me back so I must be doing something right.
People are very kind and say things like I put the "WOW" into Science, or "You were the best thing about the whole fair."
So if you are organising one and want the kids to go home zinging with some amazing science rattling around their brains then get me to come along.
Typically the show is 40 minutes to an hour when I take as big an audience as the room will hold and I fit in as many shows as I can.
Science activity days for schools and school groups
- Plants - Trees, flowers, basic botany, tree lore, plant identification
- Animals - insects, minibeasts, birds, wildlife in the grounds
- Environmental Games - learning about natural history, habitats, and adaptation
- Ponds - ecology and conservation
- Science Challenge Days, including Paper Flight.